Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Luke 24:5

I had to do a bit of research for this, but now I'm finally getting around to writing about something I noticed in the Gospel reading for Easter, Luke 24:1-12.

In addition to attending church services pretty regularly, I watch Worship Anew every week, during which I follow along with the readings (but in German).  While watching the Easter program of Worship Anew, I noticed something about Luke 24:5, specifically:  "Was sucht ihr den Lebenden bei den Toten?" ("Why do you seek the living among the dead?").  In both German and English, there's a participle (Lebenden, living) acting as a substantive (the living [one]).  I think it's significant that this is a participle, not just a regular adjective.  A participle is defined as a verbal adjective, and since it's "part verb" (so to speak), it has something of the action qualities of a verb.  This contrasts with the static nature of "den Toten" ("the dead"), which is merely an adjective (and also used as a substantive).  Even in just the parts of speech, then, there's a picture of the resurrection.

I lookt up the original Greek in the STEP Bible from Tyndale House, which I recently learned about via the Daily Dose of Greek.  Although my knowledge of Greek is still insufficient, I think living is a participle there too:  "τι ζητειτε τον ζωντα μετα των νεκρων;"