Sunday, May 31, 2020

Ezekiel 36:25

Earlier this month, I read Ezekiel 36, and I found a chiasm in verse 25:
I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you shall be clean
From all your uncleannesses, 
And from all your idols
I will cleanse you.
I lookt up the Hebrew text, and I'm pretty sure it also has this feature.

Around the same time I read this particular verse, I was following along with the Daily Dose of Greek series in John 3 where Jesus is talking to Nicodemus and refers to baptism.  Dr. Plummer mentions this verse from Ezekiel in his video on John 3:5, and the study notes in my Bible also reference it.  Clearly, this verse in Ezekiel describes baptism.

But since it has this chiastic structure, it also points to Christ's crucifixion.  The study notes in my Bible explain that "sprinkle" is a "term most often used with the blood of the atonement and covenant," and that description seems to fit more with the crucifixion than with baptism.