Sunday, February 2, 2020

Revelation 1:8, 22:13

I'm getting to the end of the Daily Dose of Greek series on Revelation and probably will have finished by the time this post is published.  I noticed that in Revelation 22:13 (and also in Revelation 1:8) there are seven nominatives (excepting the speech tag in Revelation 1:8):

Revelation 22:13:  ἐγὼ [εἰμι] τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦὁ πρῶτος καὶ ὁ ἔσχατοςἡ ἀρχὴ καὶ τὸ τέλος.

"I [am] the Alpha and the Omegathe first and the lastthe beginning and the end."

Revelation 1:8:  Ἐγώ εἰμι τὸ ἄλφα καὶ τὸ ὦ, λέγει κύριος ὁ θεός, ὁ ὢν καὶ ὁ ἦν καὶ ὁ ἐρχόμενος, ὁ παντοκράτωρ.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega," says the Lord God, "Who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty."

Seven is a significant number in the Bible (the number of days in creation, the number of petitions in the Lord's Prayer, &c.), so I think it's significant that each of these verses has seven nominatives, but I'm not quite sure what that significance is.