Sunday, July 5, 2020

Deuteronomy 6:4

In his sermon for Trinity Sunday on Worship Anew last month, Dr. Ahlersmeyer mentions Deuteronomy 6:4:  "'Hear, O Israel:  The LORD our God, the LORD is one.'"  I'd had this verse on my list of things to write about for almost a year (since 18 July), but I waited to write about it until the Daily Dose of Hebrew went over this verse to see if I could gain any additional insight.

What I noticed almost a year ago is that there are three nouns here ("The LORD our God, the LORD") that are linkt by the predicate nominative ("one"), so there's something of a picture of the Trinity:  one God, three persons.

I noticed and wrote about a similar feature in Deuteronomy 4:35 back in February, and as I followed along in the Daily Dose of Hebrew videos, I found the same thing in 4:39 and 5:6.