Sunday, October 17, 2021

Matthew 25:31-46

Near the end of September, I read Matthew 25.  I noticed something about the verbs in verses 35-36 and 42-43, but it took me a few days before I fully realized what it was and could express it.

Jesus gives examples of the good works done by the righteous:  "35 '"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me."'"  Verses 42-43 are similar but simply negated ("'"For I was hungry and you gave me no food..."'").

There are two general types of verbs here.  In each example, there's a stative verb ("was") and a dynamic verb ("gave," "welcomed," "clothed," "visited," and "came").  These dynamic verbs attract more attention, so even in just the types of verbs, the focus is on the works that the righteous do.