Sunday, March 12, 2023

Jeremiah 4:9

In October, I started going through the Daily Dose of Hebrew's weekend series on Jeremiah from the beginning.  I'd watched most of these videos when they were originally posted, but this time, I'm copying out the verses, and eventually, I'll catch up to where the series is currently (in chapter 9 as of this writing).

After I watched the video on Jeremiah 4:9, I noticed an interesting feature of the ESV translation.

וְהָיָה בַיּוֹם־הַהוּא נְאֻם־יְהוָה יֹאבַד לֵב־הַמֶּלֶךְ וְלֵב הַשָּׂרִים וְנָשַׁמּוּ הַכֹּהֲנִים וְהַנְּבִיאִים יִתְמָֽהוּ׃

"In that day, declares the LORD, courage shall fail both king and officials.  The priests shall be appalled and the prophets astounded."
The phrase "יֹאבַד לֵב" is literally something like "the heart will perish," but in the ESV, it's translated as "courage shall fail."  This has a slightly different sense, but the etymology of courage actually points back to "the heart will perish," although this may be just coincidental.  The word courage comes ultimately from cor, the Latin word for heart.  In the Vulgate, this section of the verse is "peribit cor regis et cor principum."