Sunday, April 16, 2023

Isaiah 55:8

Last month, I watched the Concordia University Wisconsin chapel service from 28 September 2017:


The text was Isaiah 55:8-11, and I noticed a small feature in verse 8:  "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, declares the LORD."  The possessive adjectives have a chiastic structure ("my" "your" "your" "my"), and this provides some indication of the disparity between the two "thoughts" and the two "ways."  Arranging the clauses so that these possessive adjectives are parallel ("My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways") doesn't have the same effect.

This same structure is also present in Hebrew (כִּי לֹא מַחְשְׁבוֹתַי מַחְשְׁבוֹתֵיכֶם וְלֹא דַרְכֵיכֶם דְּרָכָי נְאֻם יְהוָֽה) and Latin ("non enim cogitationes meae cogitationes vestrae neque viae vestrae viae meae dicit Dominus").