Sunday, September 27, 2020

Psalm 22:13

A section of Psalm 32 was one of the readings on Worship Anew a couple weeks ago.  I was following along in the Psalms portion of my French hymnal, and half of verse 7 ("de chants de délivrance, tu m'as entouré") made me realize that a specific feature of French almost mirrors the meaning.  It doesn't quite work in Psalm 32:7 (because there's an ablative of means), but I found a better example in Psalm 22:13.  In French, it's "Des fauvres nombreux me cernent, des taureaux de Basan m'encerclent" ("Many bulls encompass me; strong bulls of Bashan surround me").  Because French has a subject-object-verb word order*, "me" (in bold) is literally "surround[ed]" by the noun and verb (in italics):  "Des fauvres nombreux me cernent, des taureaux de Basan m'encerclent."

I lookt in my German Psalter and found a similar feature there.  In the German translation, the verbs are perfects ("they have surrounded me"), but because of German word order, the "me"s here are literally surrounded too:  "Gewaltige Stiere haben mich umgeben, mächtige Büffel haben mich umringt."

---
*In this instance, at least.  If I remember aright, French uses subject-object-verb word order only if the object is a pronoun.