Sunday, January 22, 2023

Psalm 119:105

Since the church year started over, I've been following along with the readings in the Latin Vulgate, moving on from my French New Testament, which I'd followed along in for the last three years.

The title of this blog is adapted from Psalm 119:105, which is my confirmation verse and which I put in the blog description.  Earlier this month, I finally got around to replacing the French translation with the Latin, and when I did this, I noticed something about the structure of the verse.  The Latin closely follows the Hebrew:
נֵר־לְרַגְלִי דְבָרֶךָ וְאוֹר לִנְתִיבָתִֽי׃

Lucerna pedi meo verbum tuum et lux semitae meae
In English, this is "Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path," but the word order in the Hebrew and Latin is such that "Your word" (דְבָרֶךָ and "verbum tuum") is in the middle of the verse.  A literal translation would be something like "A lamp to my feet [is] Your word and a light to my path."  In English, this is rearranged so that the two parts of the compound predicate nominative are on the same side of the copulative verb (which is merely implied in Hebrew and Latin).

Because "Your word" is placed in the middle in the Hebrew and Latin versions, though, there's a sense of its centrality and importance.